Monday 7 April 2014

Don't blame us, blame the bad guys


So I thought I would take some time out from planning my next meteorological strike on the straights and have a break from orchestrating genocide in Africa to put my rainbow tainted fingers to the keyboard… again… well Call the Midwife and Musketeers has finished!

I do have to wonder what one has to do to get through to some folks – so let’s get the weather out of the way once again – Gay people do not control the weather, and seriously if we did, it would be rainbows and sparkles not sand, rain, fog and gloom – frankly dahlings it just wouldn’t look good.

Now on to the more serious note within this missive. Gay people are not responsible for the killing of African people. Indeed as astonishing as some may find this – some Africans are gay, I know what a shock! I have had simultaneously the delight and despair of working in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa. Working within and for the gay communities as they campaign for access to HIV/AIDS medication, for policing agencies to recognise and protect their vulnerabilities and to dare to ask the mainstream churches  and theological colleges to engage with liberation theology that would be transformative for the lives of many.

I can hand on heart say that at no point on my travels to this most beautiful continent did I orchestrate slaughter, ethnic cleansing or even engage in hunting safari animals. I witnessed and received love and hospitality from people who had nothing to give and was ignored by those who wore the clerical attire of the Anglican communion.

What I further witnessed in Africa during my visits there was the fear of those who lived in hiding, I heard the stories of those beaten and victims of sexual violence because of their sexuality, and in some cases because of their gender. What I witnessed and heard testimony of was of violence and brutality metered out by majorities against minority groups of all sorts.

When I served in Bosnia during the genocide, I again watched and saw the result of inhumanity inflicted by humankind. I do not recall sexuality being an issue in the atrocities we witnessed. I recall it being brutal and life altering for those of us who served there. It was there I first became aware that in this flawed world of ours there are people and groups of people for whom violence and terrible destruction is an option.

Volf, a Croatian theologian, writing about his experience of the war in his country, in the book Exclusion and Embrace, wrote ““Most wars feed on hate, and the masters of war know how to manufacture it well. It is the proportions of the Balkan hate and its rawness right there on the fringes of what some thought to be civilised Europe that causes us to stagger.”

This statement,  I guess is a grown up way of saying what I am trying to articulate in the paragraph above it. People who are gay and in love are not the cause of violence in Africa or elsewhere. People are the cause of violence across the world. For the Archbishop of Canterbury to infer that gay marriage will cause death and slaughter of Christians, is in my humble uneducated opinion a deeply offensive and quite simply naïve standpoint.

Gustavo Gutierrez cited in the Cambridge Companion to Liberation Theology states that, “liberation theology has its origins in the reality of the ‘premature and unjust death of many people’”. (Rowland, 2007:3) I have learnt that my theology, my beliefs and values were radically shaped by my experiences in Bosnia. Prior to my tours there, my faith was naïve. I did not have any comprehension about the true extent of humankind’s ability to commit terrible sin. Now I do and because of this I now holdfast to a creed that says all people are equal and valued by God. I am not saying that ABC’s experience of a mass grave is in anyway less harrowing than my experience of genocide, but that as a man who holds a level of influence and media interest, he really ought to be condemning those who commit such violence and not cutting lose those who are in living in love. Because the last time I looked it was a gospel of love not a gospel of violence that was being preached by a radical bloke 2000 years ago, and who this church that the ABC leads, allegedly follows.

 

Come on ABC, don’t blame it on the sunshine, don’t blame it on the gay boogie, blame it on the bad guys.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment